1/3/09

A promise to myself


I realised after a lot of soul searching and analyzing my spending that the main thing that can keep me from reaching my financial goals is my need to take care of my family.
I want to take care of my mother, so I spend money on things I think she needs but does not buy for herself.
I want to take care of my mother, so I spend money on things my sisters need and want that my mom can not afford.
I want to take care of my mother, so I spend money on things she wants but does not buy for herself.
I want to take care of my mother so I try to relieve her financial burden all the while stagnating my own financial growth.

This is the big thing that can put me in debt. The big eye opener for me was when I decided that I wanted to buy my own car. I knew which car I wanted and I knew the approximate cost but the thing that was holding me back was my mom.

She didn't want me to get my own car yet as she thinks I am too young. In my mind I listed the reasons I did not need to buy a car now and they all revolved around my mom.
If I buy a car now, I will have less money to spend on my mom.
If I buy a car now, I will have less money to help out my mom and sisters.

And I know I need to step away from this caretaker or gravedigger mentality. My mom is a grown up, she's made a few bad financial choices in her life and is now paying for it but that is her burden not mine.
I am in the process of making the same mistakes that she made when she started working. She tried to do more than she could. She tried to lighten the load for her mom, she had to buy all the things she had been deprived of when she was younger. She had to give her daughters all the things her mother had never been able to give her as a child. And now she can not give us anything. I do not want to end up like that, I need to start putting my own needs first.
So this year is going to be about me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment