12/10/08

The right way to set (financial) goals

I recently read an article that made me realize that my strategy for setting goals was all wrong. I was looking at it from entirely the wrong angle.

From the article I read I learned that the most important step a person should taken when setting (financial) goals is to ask his/herself :

What will make me happy?

· Traveling the world

· Seeing more of my country

· Owning my own home

· Not worrying about cash when I’m older

· Having enough cash to feel secure in times of economic crisis

How can I achieve all of these things?

· Saving money for the future

· Setting up an emergency fund

· Investing money for the future

· Earning a certain amount of income

How can I get the money I need?

· Earn enough money to cover expenses while still being able to put enough away

How can I earn enough?

· Increase my income

How can I increase my income?

· Focusing on career advancement

· Creating multiple streams of income

How can I do this?

· Furthering my education

· Learning new skills

· Hard work, accepting more responsibility and becoming a valued employee in my place of work

So those are my basic goals; everything I do should increase my quality of life. The goals at the top are the most important, because is nothing but the pursuit of happiness.

One of the most important things that personal finance blog taught me was to change my way of thinking from:” Spend less than you earn” to “Earn more than you spend”.

So in order for me to achieve that ultimate goal of happiness and serenity I will not deprive myself by sticking to a strict budget but strive to earn more to increase the amount I am able to put into saving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment